Monday, September 24, 2007

Ravelry, or Why Am I Doing This?

Is it just my imagination, or have most of the knitbloggers I read suddenly gotten their invitations to Ravelry all at once? Franklin, Rabbitch, Carol, KnittyD -- and probably more. I'm signed up and waiting, but the longer it goes on, the more that I-am-not-worthy feeling grows. I knit socks, crochet granny squares, do counted-cross stitch, and amass stash. I do not design sweaters, whip up shawls from obscure notes in Barbara Walker's collections, turbo-crochet, spin gossamer from cat fur, or even read knitting charts. I knit from written patterns, rip out by the mile, and wish I had knitting or crocheting or stitching friends I could learn from.

I'm hoping that Ravelry will give me a chance to learn from folks who are willing to teach, and maybe meet up with them in person someday. I suspect Marilyn will unnerve me into silence, Laurie will make me laugh most immoderately, and if Amie were to introduce me to Oscar, I will fall in love.

As of today:
Found you!
You signed up on August 4, 2007
You are #23034 on the list.
5806 people are ahead of you in line.
12656 people are behind you in line.
48% of the list has been invited so far

If I can't have an in-person knitting community, I'll make the best of an online knitting community, and hope that my knitted bits hold up amongst all the expected knitted elegance already on Ravelry.

No comments: