Saturday, October 6, 2007

Through the looking glass (or anyway the monitor)

So I was wading through spam and things in my inbox, when lo and behold there was my invitation to Ravelry. Heavens to Murgatroyd, I'm IN! Laying aside (nearly) everything else I was planning to do, I have immersed myself in its intricacies, have been reading forii and groups, investigating patterns and yarns, and am torn between despair that I don't knit well and exaltation that THERE IS SO MUCH TO LEARN OUT THERE, and lots of people who seem to be willing to teach. Clearly I'm going to have to hit the lottery and quit my job, because this Ravelry thing might just become an obsession.

I'm anyafire over there, so if you see me, please say hey! I'll probably blush and say something ridiculous, but that's about par for me.

I've been dividing my time between the Babette afghan, the chevron socks, and the new Prairie Schooler sampler, Autumn Leaves. Work is really stressful -- I mean at a neck-and-shoulder-cramping, Motrin-requiring level of stress -- but it unerringly falls away if I can get some time working on one of those projects. I'm Irish and Polish by descent, and you'd think there would be beer or vodka involved in unwinding, but fortunately fibercrafts have a much better effect.

Tomorrow, however, there will be still another project in the works. It was in the upper eighties today, and humid -- and we even got some rain this evening, for which devout and humble thanks are given. Sunday through Wednesday are supposed to be around 90 and humid, and that's just WRONG. This is October! Leaves turn, winds are chilly, pumpkins sit around on porches and front steps, scarecrows sit around, birds fly south, right? Nope, not here.

So I am going to practice a little sympathetic magic, and make believe it's really fall. I'm going to bake two different kinds of apple pie, and try and convince the weather gnomes that October really is fall, even in North Carolina. I might even remember to take pictures of the pies, too.

1 comment:

Rabbitch said...

Dude, don't feel intimidated. I can't knit much more than washcloths and yet I presume to call myself a fibre (or fiber) artist.

It's all about talking a good game. And welcome to Ravelry. Say goodbye to your free time.